“Eat meats and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar”- Greg Glassman
There is a lot of information out there in regards to nutrition. What should you eat? what you should NOT eat? How much should I eat? When should I eat? You are trying to get in the best shape of your life. Right? Everyone has a starting point and a base level of knowledge in regards to nutrition. You need to educate yourself and understand that what we fuel our body with is probably the most important thing we can do.
Where do I start?
1. Cut out the really bad stuff… you know what they are right?
- No Fried Foods
- No Soft Drinks
- No Candy Bars & Hard Candies, etc.
- High Fructrose Corn Syrup is the enemy
2. Pay attention to what you eat and where you get it from. Here are a few tips:
· If it comes from a box, it is most likely filled with preservatives.
· If it comes from a window (think Burger King), it’s probably not the best thing for your health.
· If your food comes from the fresh produce and butcher section of the grocery store, it’s definitely a much better choice
· If you shop the perimeter of the grocery store, you will find the “good stuff”
Your food should be perishable!
· Eat lots of vegetables with different colors and seasonal fruits and berries in moderation
Here are useful resources to start with in regards to the Paleo (types of foods you eat) Zone (quantities of food you eat) diet.
Paleo Zone Food Calculator (Excel Spreadsheet)
www.thepaleodiet.com - Loren Cordain's who is a Paleo expert website. Be sure to sign up for his emails.
www.robbwolf.com – Robb is a genius with this stuff and features a number of Paleo releated posts on his blog. He has worked with Professor Cordain and knows his stuff.
Robb Wolf explains the Paleo Diet- http://robbwolf.com/faq/#getstarted
http://mypaleokitchen.blogspot.com/ - Paleo living and recipt blog
http://www.paleofood.com/ - Paleo recipes for inspiration and a demonstration that you don’t need flour and dairy to survive and have a varied diet.